2018 Sailing in the North

This is a blog post from our sailing trip June – July 2018. We sailed from Brønnøysund to Bodø, via Lofoten, and then back home to Rogaland. Read from the bottom and up.

July 20 to 27 Sailing home + Tall Ships

Vegard Moen, colleague from the University of Stavanger, was supposed to come to Brønnøysund the same day as my family left. But there were delays (again) and cancellations of flights, and he could not come to Brønnøysund. So I left in the evening and went to Rørvik, which took me eight hours. I arrived there at two in the morning, found a berth at the end of a pier (the marina was full, first time I saw that this summer), slept four hours, and continued across Folla to Utvik at Ørlandet, west of Trondheim, where Vegard had been able to come. I arrived there just before midnight, having motored and motor sailed for 17 hours. I was tired when I arrived in Rørvik, but not so much this night. Still, it was good to go to sleep in a quiet marina!

We continued next morning, Sunday 22. It was a beautiful day, but no wind, so we motored all day to Kristiansund. I am fine alone with the boat, but it is better with good company. While one takes care of the helm, the other can rest, read, or make food, or do other things in peace and quiet.

The aim this week was to get home as fast as possible. If the wind had been favourable, I would have considered going outside, off the coast, sailing around the clock. But either there was no wind, or what little wind there might be was against us. So we motored on, stopping in harbours at night to get some sleep. The current was on our side though, giving us an extra half knot or so. Better than having the half knot against us!

At Bjørnsund we stopped for a couple of hours to visit Kirsten and Gunnar, friends of Vegard’s. Gunnar’s mother grew up there, and they now had the house as their summer place. John and I visited another part of Bjørnsund last year. Now we came into this beautiful little harbour and walked through a well kept village. Here used to live several hundred people until the middle of last century.

Then on to Godøy outside Ålesund. The weather changed and was getting wet. Next day we hoped to round Stad, the infamous west point.

But we made it, and arrived in the little town of Måløy Monday afternoon. It is always good to come into a harbou after a long day at sea, especially if it has been wet and windy. We had a nice meal on shore, and a shower.

With this leg, I have completed sailing the coast from Larvik to Skrova.

Next morning was sunny and warm again, and we continued south, now in shore behind high islands.

A sailing hero of Vegard’s and mine is Ragnar Kvam junior. He is a journalist who quit his job in the late 1980’s, sold his flat and bought a 37 foot boat to sail around the world. Which he did, including two circumnavigations of the Pacific, going as far north as the Bering Strait both times. He was away for seven years and has written four books from the journey, well written and very interesting. His boat is called Northern Quest. Vegard and I had just talked about him, and then I looked to port. There I saw a boat that had just passed us, with Northern Quest written in big letters on the side! And the man at the helm was no doubt captain Kvam himself! We only saw him a bit too late.

At two in the afternoon we arrived in Florø, where Vegard left to take a faster boat to Bergen and go on to Stavanger and back to work the next day (no pictures from Florø it seems, too busy moving on). The weather was still calm, sunny and hot. At midnight I found a nice little bay just south of Sognefjorden, where I dropped the anchor and had a good night’s sleep under the full moon.

Next day, Thursday, I continued until nearly midnight again, to Fitjar, stopping only for an hour and a half at a private pier just south of Bergen for dinner and rest.

On this day four years ago, I followed the same route, in just as nice and warm weather. That time Ellen and her sisters were on board too. We stopped in Bergen then to visit the Tall Ships Festival. Now, I was pressing on to make it home for the Tall Ships Festival in Stavanger.

Waking up to yet another beautiful morning in Fitjar, I continued by motor between the hundreds of islands. The forecast was for a light south easterly breeze later, which would suit me well once I got into the Bømlafjord. I did get some nice sailing, but the wind weered more to the south and south west, picking up, so by the time I was starting on the open sea of Sletta, I had a stiff breeze on the nose. So I pulled in to a protected bay, dropped the anchor, made dinner and waited for a couple of hours. When I started again in the afternoon, the wind was lighter but still from the south east, so getting to Haugesund involved some beating (also due to other traffic).

I finally sailed into Haugesund at around 5 p.m. I continued on without stopping, hoping to catch the south going current through the narrow passage of Karmsundet. But alas, I was not so lucky, ending up motoring against both wind and current for almost two hours. The south west wind should be fine for reaching home across Boknafjorden then, the last 15 miles before home. But would you believe it! In just half an hour, the time it took me to go through the pass at Bokn, the wind died and I came out to a complete calm! I had a nice last two and a half hours though, motoring home into home waters in the sunset.

With this, Vestavind is home again after more than a year in the north. Since Brønnøysund, June 9, she has covered 1020 nautical miles. Most of this has been by motor, probably less than 50 by sail alone. Either there was no wind, wind in the wrong direction to where we had planned to go, or too much wind. But being on the sea is good anyway! It has been a wonderful journey, seeing the coast minute by minute, stopping at so many beautiful places, small and large, viewing and being in the middle of all this spectacular nature, and meeting many nice and interesting people. The Norwegian coast is really worth many sea journeys. With its thousands of islands and skerries, there are safe passages everywhere, well marked both on the charts and in real. There are places to stop and find anchorage and moorings everywhere, with many visitor’s marinas. Although many of the smaller places along the coast are depopulated, they are well taken care of and can be visited. And there are thriving, small communities all along the coast. Much of this is due to the fish farming industry, which gives work to people just on such small places. But it has its negative sides too, with environmental challenges. The government wants to multiply this industry, as there is a lot of money in it, to the critizism of environmentalists and others. I am concerned too.

Thanks to all who have been part of this journey! John, Leif Roald and Vegard, and especially to Ellen, Signe Elisabeth, Tormod, Tobias and Oskar! I am hoping to have some good hands on board in the future!

Next time, we will not decide where to go until we see the weather and the wind!

I did not stop in Bergen this time.

Early morning at Fitjar.

I did make it to the Tall Ships! Here are some pictures from the harbour Saturday afternoon, including a mini concert on the deck of Statsraad Lehmkuhl, and from the sail away on Sunday, with Ellen, Torhild and Åge.

July 12 to 20 Sailing with family

Ellen and I left express boat for Bolga. Signe Elisabeth, Tormod, Tobias and Oskar were supposed to join us, but their flight was delayed and they had to spend the night in a hotel in Bodø and come next day.

Walking on Bolga, to a 50 ton rock that can be rocked!

Some of the flora:

Farewell to Bolga! (Ellen is normally awake at the wheel!)

The rest of the crew joined us Friday afternoon, at Klokkergården on Rødøy. This used to be a farm and a primary school with dorm for girls. Now it is a popular guest house and a very good restaurant.

We climbed the mountain Rødøyløva (the lion), 440 metres above the sea. Sherpas have built steps, but it’s still a hard climb! Only two of us made it to the very top. Guess who! It’s an airy and scary view!

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary back in Klokkergården in the evening.

Sunday was a short hop to Selsøyvik, an old trading centre which is owned by the Olsen family. It was a wet day, but the rest of the week has been beautiful, with temperatures into the thirties! The Olsens run fish farms in the area, and keep a guest house and a marina. Signe Elisabeth and Tormod are friends with the young people in the family and were here in a wedding two years ago. Kolbjørn, who lives at Talgje with Ingrid and their three kids, comes from the other of the two families who live here. We went with them on a mountain hike, riding the first part in a trailer built by Ellen’s father’s company. Tobias found fun toys! When the weather is nice, in the summer, the coastal express pass through the narrow sound, to much amusement to the locals, or may be to the tourists onboard!

Rødøyløva (the lion):

Træna, with its carachteristic silhouette:

We stayed two nights in Selsøyvik. Tuesday we motored on to Solværet, another group of islands, where we stopped at Sleneset for a couple of hours to shop and have lunch. Here we met Anne and Arne Odden in their beautiful Najad 371, a larger relative of Vestavind. We have had contact on Facebook. From there we sailed in a light breeze to Utøya, just north off Dønna, to visit Ellen Margrethe and Petter. They sail a 16 foot traditional boat and camp on shore in a tent (the boat is not sunk, it has just been shored). Petter is a colleague of mine from the University of Agder. I knew that Petter turned 60 around this time, but was not aware that it was this particular day! We rowed ashore and were lucky to join the celebration right there on the beach!

We spent the night at Vandve, just south of Utøya. We woke up to a dead calm. We usually would wake up early, Oskar took care of that! With no wind, we motored on between low islands.

Lunch Wednesday was at Seløya. This was the hottest day, 32 degrees! In the afternoon, we arrived through a maze of islands to Skålværet, where we once again were welcomed by Gunhild and Nils, who took us to the church and showed Ellen and me the film about the old trading centre.

Life on board:

Off watch:

Back in Brønnøysund, and time for the family to go home.

July 8 to 12 Back in Bodø

I left Vestavind at Bolga and took the express boat back to Bodø on Sunday, to meet Ellen and stay there until Thursday when Signe Elisabeth, Tormod, Tobias and Oskar will come.

We spent Monday walking around in town, looking at street art, visiting what is supposed to be the only remaining second hand book shop, the harbour. I bought two books about the famous (in sailing circles) boat designer and builder Colin Archer. The owner asked me about one of them: “Are you sure?”. It was a rare copy, estimated to cost 700 NOK. But I got it for 300.

This boat stood out, the schooner Mariette, built in 1915, and recently restored, with attention to detail. I don’t want to think about how many millions of pounds that must have cost. We asked one of the crew members if it is a sail training vessel (skoleskip). “Nouu, she is privately owned”, he answered in a very upper class English. Later, we met two other crew members, carrying a new tumble dryer to the boat. She has a crew of eight, who cater for every need of the owner and his guests. This of course includes taking care of their laundry. Careful with that big anchor!

Tuesday and Wednesday we hired a car and went to Kjerringøy, Hamarøy and Tranøy.

We stopped at beautiful and peaceful Mjelle.

At Kjerringøy there is the old trading centre from the 18th and the 19th century. The buildings are preserved in their original state. Knut Hamsun found inspiration for some of his novels here.

Monday evening, Saltstraumen. The strongest tidal current in the world.

Tuesday, a three hour drive to Hamar. A long trip for a day, but we were rewarded!We visited Knut Hamsun’s home from he was three to twelve. “My home was poor, but very dear to me.” His father was a farmer and a tailor. His Husqvarna is still there. In the children’s bedroom, we could see Knut’s clothes peg.

We also visited the Hamsun centre, where Leif Roald, John and I had been three weeks earlier.

Then late Tuesday afternoon, to Tranøy, the village, art gallery, outdoor installations and the lighthouse, with a view to the Lofoten range. Breathtaking!

July 7 Støtt to Bolga

Leaving Støtt early afternoon, we beat our way against wind and current to Bolga. A gentleman never beats, they say! It was fun though! Vestavind can sail in southerly winds too!

July 4 to 6 Back in the boat – Bodø to Støtt

Wednesday morning, July 4, I was back in Bodø and the boat, after a week at work and a nice and fun wedding party. Actually, I should have been back Tuesday, but the plane from Stavanger was delayed and all connecting flights from Trondheim were full, so I had to spend a night in a hotel. I got to watch two football matches though.

I spent the day in Bodø, installing a new battery charger, shopping, walking three kilometres to a store to buy a new mattress etc. At seven in the evening, Vestavind left Bodø, heading for Sør-Arnøy.

From now, the red markers will be to starboard.

Arrived at Sør-Arnøy rather late and found a guest harbour. There are berths for visitor everywhere, most with electricty and water, and at reasonable costs.

Thursday morning I continued to Sørfugløy, another three hours lazy sailing, and also here found a mooring. This is a small island with a high mountain, and a nice beach.

Common means of transport at Sørfugløy:

The way south:

The day was sunny and warm, and we continued in a dead calm by engine to Støtt. On the way, we made a detour to see what according to The Telegraph is the world’s most beautiful public toilet.

The evening was beautiful, warm and almost serene.

But it was not to last! I had seen the forecast, which predicted a southerly strong breeze in the night, and had put up a couple of extra ropes. But I was not prepared for what came! At one thirty I woke up by a crazy wind rocking the boat wildly. The dinghy, which was lying on the foredeck, unsecured, flew over board and landed on the water on the other side of the pontoon. I got up more ropes, but was afraid the pontoon itself would give in. It blew hard for a couple of hours, but we survived! Some of the most important equipment you can have in a boat is enough good ropes. They must be able to stretch to soften the movements of the boat. The following morning, another boat came in. They had arrived in the outer harbour just as the storm came. It went from calm to over forty knots of wind in five minutes, they said. That’s a strong gale, nearly a storm.

I spent the whole day at Støtt, fixing some worn away varnish in the cockpit, and going for a walk. As on many other strategic points along the coast, the German forces built a fort also at Støtt during WWII. Three hundred personell were stationed here, according to the information plate. After the war, most of the buildings were torn down and the materials were used to build houses by the local population. But everything could not be demolished. Now the cannon base is a nice picknic point.

Like the Romans, the Germans built good roads.

Sunday 24 Bodø

Time to go home, after two good weeks along the coast of Helgeland, Lofoten and Steigen. Thank you, John and Leif Roald, for good company! Back home for a week at work now.

Saturday, we visited the museum for aviation in Bodø. It is the same principles of aerodynamics that make an airplane fly, that make sailboat sail.

Wednesday 20 to Saturday 23 Skrova to Bodø

We are now in Bodø, on the last day of this part of the sail tour. Moored right in the central part of the town. We will celebrate our last night at Egon’s restaurant. It’s up the gangway, across the street and through the door!

But read on for updates from the last few days.

Wednesday we set out from Skrova to cross the Vestfjorden again, back to the mainland side. The forecast was for SW breeze, and it held all the way across. Visibility was poor, but we had a nice sail. This time the wind and the current cooperated, so instead of croppy seas, we had long and pleasant waves of 2-3 metres, and nearly a hundred metres long. We came in to Skutvik, in Hamarøy a little past noon. John was glad to get over to the other side. He has crossed this stretch of water many enough times to give it respect!

Some more pics from Skrova:

Farewell to Skrova:

We came in by Øksnes

to Skutvik with its nice marina.

We took a bus to the Hamsun centre, ca 15 km away, to see the special architecture by Stephen Holl, inspired by Hansun’s novels. It is designed to reflect the shifting and complicated moods of his caracters, and the building itself resembles a man. But there was also interesting exhibitions and information about the author himself. From the window in the corner, we could see across to where he stayed when he wrote The Growth of the Earth (Markens Grøde).

We also passed his birth place.

Next stop was Kjerringøy on Thursday. It was a wet seven hours by motor. But Friday morning we woke up to a blue sky. Kjerringøy has a 200 year old and very well preserved marketing centre, which we only briefly visited as it was not open for the public until the afternoon. But we stopped in at a traditional boatbuilder, where a young lady from Germany now works. She explained to us some of the techniques.

Here’s an example of the beautiful traditional boats of Nordland, lying in the marina. And a nice version of one of Colin Archer’s designs.

This one is for sale. A close relative of Vestavind, but three feet longer and very well equipped. Shall I?

At Kjerringøy, they have invested heavily in sea tourism.

Sailing to Bodø on Friday was pure pleasure, although still with three layers of wool under a heavy jacket.

Hurtigruta (coastal express) is a familiar and dear sight along the coast.

Coming in to Bodø.

We were quite pleased with ourselves, but look at these:

This little 21 foot boat from 1954, yes, it’s true!, with an engine just as old, is on its way from Kirkenes to Kragerø, practically the entire Norwegian coast, with one man and his wife, who went home from Bodø. Incredible and impressive! Today two friends joined him, to continue further south.

And this 33 foot sailboat from Malmø, with a young couple, is on its way to Svalbard. She is a real ocean goer! Many nice and interesting people to meet and talk to!

Tuesday 19 Skrova

As mentioned, Skrova is a little island community with a population of around one hundred. Some of them work in the fishing industry. There is also a company that handles whale meat. Others work in the tourist industry, which also here is quite big, especially in summer. There are 19 places which offer accomodation, and eight eating facilities. There are several artists, like at Henningsvær. One of the places is Aasjordbruket, known from Morten Støksnes’ book Havboka (Shark Drunk).

According to the bartender at one of the places, all the accomodation is full for the summer. People come in groups or by themselves, or in their own boats like us. There is a ferry which commutes several times each day between Svolvær, Skrova and Skutvik on the other side of Vestfjorden.

Monday 18 Henningsvær, Kabelvåg, Svolvær and Skrova

Monday was day of harbour hopping. The morning was spent in Henningsvær. This is a little town on an island, connected with bridges to the mainland. It is a place where many artists have established their studios, among them a ceramist and glassblowers.

We had heard that Yoko Ono had an installation by the light house south of the town. This is also near the football field, which is surrounded by fish scaffolds. But the installation was not there any mor. The light house and the buildings are in private ownership. We were met by a dog and a woman who made it quite clear that we were not welcome. But at least we got to see the football field with the fishing environment!

Next was Kabelvåg. Here we find the Lofoten Cathedral, the biggest wooden church north of Trondheim. It can seat up to 1200 people.

From Kabelvåg there was just a short leg to Svolvær. The batteries were dead, and had to be replaced. We also had a nice meal of bacalao at Bacalao. There were several nice boats in the harbour.

The last leg this day was to Skrova, a little island community one hour’s sail to the east of Svolvær. We found berth at a pontoon that belonged to a fish factory, free of charge.

My galley slaves (actually, Leif and I did the carrying, we had to walk some ways to the shop).

We found this in an alley. Much better!

Sunday 17 Reine to Henningsvær

Sunday came with bright skies and a light south east breeze. We could pull out our genaker and cruise along up the coast as long as the wind lasted. First, we stopped in Nusfjord, a beautiful, well preserved fishing village, now a museum.

Next stop was Ballstad, from where we motorsailed to Henningsvær, coming into the harbour at midnight. Here are some pictures.

Out of Reine. It looks different now!


What a farewell!

Enjoying a summer sail at midnight!

Friday 15 and Saturday 16

There was no choice now, we just had to stay put and wait for better weather. Although we were safely moored in a well protected harbour, we could really hear and feel the wind. We spent the days walking around exploring Reine, and Saturday we took a bus to Leknes, an hour’s ride to the north. In Reine we visited an art gallery, where some of Karl Erik Harr and his sister, Eva Harr’s work is exhibited.

In Reine, as in many other places in Lofoten, there are many ‘rorbuer’, small cabins where visitors can stay. Rorbuer were traditionally shelters for fishers during the fishing season. They would often be very simple and crowded. Some of the old ones have been refurbished, but most of them are purposefully built for tourists.

Happy street:

Thursday 14 Værøy to Reine

Thursday was overcast with north easterly winds. We made an attempt at going north, but saw that the wind would be almost straight against us, so we turned back and decided to wait it out at Værøy. But in the evening the wind shifted a little more to the east and south east, so we made a quick desicion to try again.

But in between we berthed at another pontoon, and found signs of the roalty’s visit also here. It turned out we moored exactly where they had landed, and could make use of the royal pallet to get on and off the boat! They probably had a red carpet. But we had better shoes. The queen had had problems stepping on it with her high heels, we were told.

At Røst and Værøy we began seeing the first scaffolds for drying fish, big, Norwegian Sea cod, which is caught in great numbers in winter and hung up to dry. By now it is hard as wood. Everything from the fish is used either for human food or for industrial purposes. This is a thousand year old way of preserving food. They do it everywhere here in Lofoten.

We got up the main with two reefs and turned north east, with the wind on our starboard bows, and the engine helping too. As we got into the open strait south of Lofotodden, we made aquaintance with the infamous Mosk current, which came in from the west and collided with the wind, creating some nasty, steep waves. But John steered well and the boat handled it perfectly.

At around midnight we approached the entrance to Reine. It was dusk, because of the low clouds, and none of us had sailed into this harbour before. But the people who mark the coast for sailing and make the charts, are doing a tremendous job. We could follow the lights and sail straight in. We were moored at 1.30 a.m. and went straight to bed and slept in next morning. So good to get inside and be snug!

I talked to some Scottish sailors a few days later. They were amazed at the way the coast here has been marked. They were not used to that from their home waters on the west side of Scotland.


Wednesday 13 Myken to Værøy

Myken is definitely one of the places which stand out on this sailing trip so far. I would have liked to stay there longer, but Lofoten is another goal, and we had to take opportunity of the weather window to cross the Vestfjorden. There were gale warnings for later in the week.

The crossing over to the southernmost end of Lofoten is 45 miles. It was a warm and sunny day, but with no wind, so we motored all the way for eight hours. Eventually, Skomvær lighthouse came over the horizon. Being surrounded by skerries, shallows and currents, it is a place that you approach with respect. But the sea was calm and we went as close as we dared.

From Skomvær to Røst, we went between islands and skerries, passing through narrow sounds. There are tracks marked on the chart, which means people have been there before. The bird life was amazing!

We stopper at Røst to have dinner and a look at the place, and found that the king and the queen had been there the same day. There was a gale warning for Friday and Saturday, so we pressed on to Værøy to be in a better position to get over to mainland Lofoten before the wind. A light breeze picked up, and we had a nice three hour sail in the midnight sun, arriving at Værøy at about 1 a.m.

Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 Myken

From Træna we continued north and west to the little group of islands of Myken. One of them is inhabited by fourteen people. Number fourteen met us on the pier. On Myken there is a bed and breakfast, a lighthouse, and a destillery, among other things (the northern most in the world where they do the whole process from scratch). The water on the island is made from sea water by pumping it through sofisticated filters. Staffan Gustafsson showed is around the destillery.

There is just a few hundred meters of road. Parked off the road I found this trailer. By closer inspection I found it had been made at my father in law’s factory, and it was actually produced in 1980, the year I worked there. I could easily have helped making it!

From the south end of the island, we could see back to where we had come from that day.

Tuesday 12 Træna

We spent the night at Lovund, filled up the diesel tank next morning and motored off to Træna, a further ten miles to the north west. Træna has a very spectacular profile, which has become iconic for the Helgeland coast.

Some more pics from around Træna. This is also a living community.

Monday 11

Ellen and I visited Lovund one day in July 2005. We had 30 degrees Celsius, and a dead calm. That day we came by ferry. Now I came in my own boat. Not as warm as then, but nice weather. This is a summer holiday with sails and wool.

We moored at the King’s pier. He was here in June 2008, exactly ten years ago. High time for a new visit by celebrity! (We were to see more traces of the king later.)

I was impressed by Lovund on my first visit. Being a small community on a little island quite far off the mainland coast, it was then thriving and growing, with around 350 people, I seem to remember. And it still is. They turned 500 this year. There is fishing industry, a hotel, kindergarden with more than 50 kids, and a full primary school with 82 pupils (we met the headmaster on our evening walk).

Monday 11

The wind shifted to north early in the morning, and it looked like rain. We started out at 9.50. Turning a little north east, we got the wind on our port bow and could set sail. The clouds lifted a little. Sailing in-shore, behind low islands, in light breeze, seeing 7 knots on the log! Can it be better?

Seven sisters in the clouds there:

Our destination today is Lovund, north west of Sandnessjøen. All the islands around are low and flat, but then you have Lovund, rising 625 meters above the sea. Behind the island on the left side, you can see Træna, our destination tomorrow. From there we plan to sail across the Vestfjorden to Lofoten when the conditions are favourable.

Sunday 10

Sunday morning was quiet and overcast. Our destination was Skålvær, where I visited in August last year. We used the engine all the way for four hours, and rolled out the genoa to help the speed when there was a little breeze from the west.

On the pier in Skålvær we met Gunhild and Nils, who welcomed me last year. They promptly invited us to see the animated film that has been made of how the community might have looked like around 1900. They have made serious research in the process, having spent several thousand hours to collect all the information and producing the film. Gunhild took is to see the church from 1889. The altar piece was bought from Avaldsnes, the medieval church near Leif and John’s home. And after the tour, Gunhild and Nils served coffee and rhubarb pie!

The community has its own web site. Here you can find the film they have made, and a VR model of the place around 1900. http://www.skaalvaervel.no/?side=skalvaer—tilbake-til-1890-arene

We went for a walk on the island. Last winter, a pine forest had been cut down. This tree was only 38 years old, but look at the stem! It’s fertile here.

Saturday 9.

From Brønnøysund we steamed north for an hour to a little quiet bay where se stayed for the first night. It was a beautiful evening with clear sky and sunshine inntil we turned in. After having got the sails back on, er enjoyed a good meal with prawns (two of us).

Back in Brønnøysund

Saturday June 9. We found the boat in good shape, and were under way in 20 minutes. First a stop in Brønnøysund for shopping and filling water. Sails are not on yet, that will be the job tonight.

With John, retired coastal skipper (sailed with me last year) and his brother Leif.

Met the coastal express Polarlys on our way out.

May 1 to 3

I visited the boat for a couple of days to start making ready for the season. It was then almost eight months since I left her for the winter. There had been both storms and very cold periods, but everything was ok. She was dry below, and smelt good. Toft Marina is a very safe place for boats. And good neighbors had looked after Vestavind. Thank you very much, Magne and Frank!

One of the things I had planned to do was to lift her out and give her a good cleaning and service the propeller. I had arranged with Sigurd Siem who has a crane just north of Brønnøysund. The weather was nice, clear sky, little wind, the temperature fine, although not warm. I stopped in town on my way out. See the snow capped Seven Sisters in the background.

The rest of the time was spent pulling in the halyards, cleaning and tidying, getting a new start battery, etc. I also had to replace the bolts connecting the propeller shaft to the gear box flange. It felt good to stay onboard again! Coming back in June!

From Brønnøysund I flew to Tromsø for a conference and then Bergen on my way home. There I met these two boats:

In Tromsø, a steel boat ca 28 ft. She had sailed from Greenland via Iceland last year. Will go to Lofoten this summer.

In Bergen, this little boat, 22 ft, from 1982. They had just come across from Scotland this week, and were heading to Trondheim.

In Bergen I also met a couple in a 32 ft Vancouver, who were from Ireland. They had kept the boat here on the west coast over the winter, and were going to Lofoten.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: